Dear Critical Dietetics Trainers and Educators,
I am sharing this note on behalf of three Critical Dietetics scholars who
are working on a book chapter about Critical Dietetics. Thank you for any
support you might provide.
Co-Founder, Critical Dietetics
Jillian Ruhl, Elin Lovestam, and myself are working on a book chapter
entitled ” Awakening the Possibilities: An Exploration of Critical Nutrition
and Dietetic Training and Education” in a book called Critical Dietetics and
Nutrition Studies edited by John Coveney and Martin Caraher. We would like
your help with our project!
As we were considering what to include in the chapter we came up with
several questions that we felt could be more fully illuminated with the
input from other critical dietetics/nutrition professionals.
We are hoping that you would take a few moments to answer the following
program related questions for us. Our plan is to use the information you
share with us as quotes to enhance our narrative with the aim of improving
The Mount Saint Vincent University Research Ethics Board has reviewed our
questions and ethics clearance is not required. That said, we want to inform
- all personal/institutional identifiers will be removed from the
information you provide us, therefore if we choose to include a quote or
part of a quote from you, it will be non attributable;
- answering all or some of the following questions is completely
- only the project team will have access to the information you
provide and that information will be handled in a confidential manner;
- the information will only be used for this project as described
- the information will be destroyed at the conclusion of the
- you may contact Daphne (Daphne.Lordly@msvu.ca), Jillian
(Jillian.Ruhl@msvu.ca) or Elin (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any
questions that you may have about our project.
By answering all or some of the questions and returning them via email to
Daphne, your free and informed consent is implied. Return indicates you
understand the conditions of providing information for this project and that
you have had the opportunity to have any of your questions answered.
Here are the questions:
- What would a critical dietetics classroom look like?
- What would the students and educators be doing?
- In what ways can we make our traditional educational programs more
critical so as to meet the future needs of our professions?
If you would like to help us with this project please respond by March 1st
by email to Daphne.Lordly@msvu.ca. Thank you!
We are pleased to introduce a new way to support Critical Dietetics – become a member!
Our Membership Policy: Our membership fees are used to support the operating costs of Critical Dietetics and the Journal of Critical Dietetics, to support members to participate in the activities of the Critical Dietetics community, as well as to offer financial support to students through awards and bursaries. Costs that are covered by our membership fees include:
- Student awards and bursaries for conference attendance and travel
- Stipends for student work on the CD newsletter
- Copyediting and translation work for the Journal of Critical Dietetics
- Costs associated with organizing and hosting annual conference
Payment can be made through PayPal by clicking on the membership of your choice. Thank you very much for your support of our growing organization!
We invite you to register as a reader of the Journal of Critical Dietetics. Its free!
Although you must register to access any of the articles published in JCD, there is no charge to read the articles after you register and no charge to submit to have your work considered by the Journal. This is quite rare in the open-access, peer-reviewed journal world.
When people register as readers, it helps us keep in touch with those who are interested in our organization. We share about four emails every year about a new issue of the journal and about our upcoming conference.
Thanks for being a reader!
It went off without a technological hitch and, more importantly, we created a space online where beautiful and difficult thoughts, ideas, and emotions were shared. We had participants joining us from Australia, the UK, Saudi Arabia, the USA, and Canada. We welcomed many new voices to Critical Dietetics and were delighted to have several returning from years past. Thank you to everyone who made this happen including the participants and presenters. The possibilities are swirling for next year…
A group of students and faculty conference together July 26 in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
July 26: Revised and Updated Program!
Take a look at this wonderful array of individual presentations and pecha kuchas offered by our presenters this year. And, of course, feel free to share this recently updated Program_FINAL_July26 with colleagues. Register for the ONLINE Conference here!
We have participants joining us from Mexico City, Kansas, Mandurah, and Dartmouth! It is not too late to register and join us.
We have received some compelling abstracts and the final Program is set for our 7th International Critical Dietetics Conference. For the first time, our conference will be completely online. Follow this secure PayPal link for our regular registration, which provides you with full access to all sessions in real time and password-protected recordings to review at your leisure for 3 months following the conference:
Regular Registration $50
If you are a student or are unwaged/underwaged, please email me directly with your registration details including:
- Institution (if applicable)
- City, Country
I look forward to the dynamic space and conversations that we will co-create on July 26, 2017!
We have several news items to share with you today pertaining to our upcoming online conference, call for future conference hosts, and call for volunteers. Please share this information widely.
- The deadline for abstracts to our inaugural online conference is two weeks away. The Call for Abstracts 2017 Critical Dietetics Conference Around the World has already elicited many great submissions, although you do not have to submit an abstract to attend the conference. Registration information will be available soon.
- Would you like to host a future conference? Review our Call for Critical Dietetics Conference Hosts and submit your application by August 1, 2017.
- Would you like to support the work of Critical Dietetics by volunteering for the Conference or Journal committees? Review our Critical Dietetics Conference Committee and our Journal of Critical Dietetics Committee terms of reference and submit your application by August 1, 2017.
If you have any questions about these opportunities, please email Jacqui Gingras.